Monday, February 6, 2017

The Heat




You know that the heat is bad when even the Colombians are complaining about the heat. Some days at about 10 when we leave I feel like I'm getting burned. I have yet to actually get a sunburn, but some people here have told me that I'm already noticeably darker. We are going into the hottest part of the year--they say that between April to June is when it's hottest here, so we'll see how that goes. I'm already dying a little bit from the heat. I laugh when I hear about missionaries who go and change their shirts in the middle of the day. If I did that every time I was sweating a lot, I'd run out of shirts by the end of the day. Yes, it's a little hot.

But this week has been pretty good. We had interviews with President on Tuesday. It went well, he gave me some advice and also encouraged me. It helped me to feel a bit better about my work. He just asked me about how I feel being Senior Companion, and after asked about my companion. It was really short, but it helped me a lot.

Other than that, it's been very interesting. We've been working a lot more with some part-member families. It can be a little frustrating, but it's been going alright. We've been having some trouble finding our investigators, they've been really busy. It makes me worried, because the more time that they spend away from us is time for them to be tempted and to have doubts. But we keep working. And we've found a few new people. But I swear, the only people who have steady jobs in Colombia are the ones who are actually interested in what we have to say. You can talk to just about anyone at just about anytime, but as soon as they start talking to us, they always seem to find a job that keeps us from finding them. But it's alright, that's how missionary work is.

As for happier news, W.'s grandparents got baptized! It was the bright point of the week! I'm very happy for them, even though I wasn't a very big part of their whole conversion process. I'm sad that the missionaries who helped them the most couldn't be there to see it, but I'm sure that's something that I'll experience too. And the most important part is that they got baptized finally. We saw a whole lot of miracles in the process, it was incredible. It's not something that you see everyday.

That's about everything new from this week. We will see how this next week goes, and hope that the investigators can make good progress so that they can make the incredible step of baptism.

Before I go, one quick experience. On Friday I think it was, I was feeling really really down. I didn't want to work, I didn't want to leave the house, I basically didn't want to do anything. I did work, I did leave and do all of these things, but I wasn't feeling it. We did our normal studies and all that, and while my companion was in the bathroom, I decided that I needed to snap out of it. I remembered hearing that President Hinckley was known for being an optimist always. So I took the book of his teachings and found a chapter about being optimistic. I don't even remember what it said. Afterwords I picked up a quote book I have and read a few, and felt the Spirit very strongly. I felt the strong need to kneel down and pray for forgiveness and strength. Which I did. And I kid you not, the change was 180 degrees. I was smiling, I was joking, and I had a great day. The Lord made a promise to the sons of Mosiah in the scriptures that he would comfort them, and I've seen that promise come true again and again. I know that the Savior can help us with whatever problem that we have, he can lift us up.

I love you all, I hope you're having a great week, and that it keeps being great. Please remember that just because we have the gospel, we should be some of the happiest people in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment